Sunday, April 24, 2011

Moving On - Refresh In Writing

As mentioned in SL, I'm stepping back from being in-world.  I'm not really needed and, if the group is going to survive at all, it needs some breathing room.  I may talk to some of the officers in the group to see where they're at, and, if they're up for the task, to start working on shaping things up.  At this moment, I can't.  It's been observed that I can't motivate anyone, and I'm just too frustrated to continue to sit there and wait in world for a small chance that anyone will listen to me or do anything at this point.  So, stepping back makes the most sense.  And, depending on how things look, I may or may not disband the group by the end of this month or May.  But it's going to take some convincing that it's worthwhile to continue anything.  I have to know that people are interested in making the Project work - and not just for me, but for themselves as well.  And that means for people in the Project to actually DO something.  Not because I told them to, but because they WANT to do it.  They need to communicate with one another, not just have me give notices to try to get them to talk and be active, they have to actually work TOGETHER and BE active by taking the initiative.  I can't do that for them.  And my nudging gets totally ignored.  Thus, time to step back and let them either on their own stand or else disband.

What will I do?  Well, I'm thinking it's time to focus on writing and editing.  Get away from trying to organize persons and work about organizing words again.  I already wasted so much time trying to push certain elements in world that I never got back to focusing on editing up one story I had thought of publishing, and maybe could have had it in the process if I had been working on the manuscript, rather than get myself in RP and group organization drama.  On the other hand, all wasn't completely wasted, as some of the RP could be re-worked and edited into something. Maybe.  But, for now, I just need to start doing.  After all, if I'm asking others to start doing something, then so should I.  Much like I read in a recent article about the late Pope John Paul II. It was noted that people sensed his authenticity and as someone who could demand something of others by the fact that he also demanded something of himself as well.  And I think it certainly a form of arete to have that certain authenticity.  An excellence that may never be achieved, but well worth the effort to strive for.  Which is thus why I'm not going to fret over the future of the Project.  It will work itself out one way or the other, and in neither way do I have full control of it, nor do ask for such.  But what I can put discipline to is refocusing myself on writing.

One point of focus is on making a short fiction.  There's a short story contest I saw in Writer's Journal in this past March/April (Vol. 32, No. 2) installment.  The entry fee is US $15.00 for a 5000 word or less fiction. The top prizes are US $500 for first, $200 for second, and $100 for third.  Each would be published in the July/Aug edition of the journal. I'm thinking of maybe drawing off the recent steampunk RP story and putting together a basic overview of some ideas I had for it.  At least that way, maybe it won't go to waste.  Other than that, I have an old lycan story I'd like to revise and work into a novel maybe.  The Custos Noctis had a decent story I could revise as well.  We'll see what happens.  Hell, maybe I'll return to the Latin story I was working on that is on my old LiveJournal account.  Skies the limit. Just have to consider what to focus on.  And maybe if I get something produced, story entry, manuscript, or otherwise, I'll feel like I've actually accomplished something finally.

Anyways, that's my acta for now.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment